When you first learn about eating clean, it can be hard to figure out exactly what you should be eating, how much you should eat and when to eat. Don’t get caught up in the details – you will never start living the lifestyle if you do! We get countless emails from people wondering exactly what their macros should be and even if they are doing it the “right” way. The truth is, eating clean does have some fundamental rules, but all the other “specifics” have to do what works for you.
Below, you will find 8 of our rules for things you should know when you start eating clean. These rules are easy to follow and leave some room for personal interpretation. At the end of the day, for you to make a lifestyle change, it has to make sense to you. Make eating clean work for you!
- The fundamental idea of eating clean is “If it has a mother or grows in the ground, eat it.”
- If you cannot pronounce an ingredient, don’t buy it or eat it.
- Try to eat 6 small meals per day, but if you can’t, eating 3 clean meals per day is better than stuffing your body full of junk!
- Eating clean lends itself to A LOT of variety – you do NOT have to eat chicken day in and day out!
- The exact ratio of carbohydrates, protein and fats (your mets) is specific for you. The amount of calories your body requires is different from the amount of calories your friend requires. Nutritional needs are never static – they are always changing.
- You can jump in to eating clean with both feet, all at once or take baby steps toward your ultimate goal. You do what is right for you as long as you are making positive progress toward changing your eating habits.
- Eating clean isn’t a diet – it’s a lifestyle. Making lifestyle changes vs. dieting is key to shifting your views toward eating clean.
- Do not deprive yourself. Find alternative methods of making your favorite desserts and snacks that contain less preservatives and more closely resemble the eat clean spectrum. Have you seen our desserts/treats recipes?!