As a parent, you certainly would not like to see your active baby down with cold. But it often happens that your baby gets sick with common cold. Apart from this he or she may show symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, sneezing, congestion, runny nose and coughing. You may also find his or her body temperature ranging from 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit.
Home remedies can be comfortable alternative solutions to store-bought drugs. The good news is you can try home remedies the moment you find your baby catching a cold, so that you can curb the infection from spreading further. Basic functioning of your baby may improve with tried and tested home remedies.
Home Remedies For Cold In Babies:
There are plenty of effective and safe home remedies that you can try to treat cold in your baby. You need not worry as the remedies are generally gentle on her immune system and won’t cause any discomforts or side effects that are likely with medications. Let us have a look at 13 effective home remedies for cold and cough in babies:
- Vapor rubs or petroleum jelly when rubbed on her back and chest can help her enjoy some relief.
- Use nasal drops frequently at regular intervals by laying your baby on her back.
- You can use nasal saline rinse along with the vapor rub to help her sleep well.
- Honey has antiseptic properties that ease irritation and cold. You can add some warm water to it and let her drink. It is only recommended for babies above one year.
- Symptoms of cold get aggravated by dry air. To maintain moisture content, you can try steaming. A steamer can be useful for this purpose.
- Ginger has plenty of health benefits. It can be used for treating congestion and cold in babies as well. With increased blood circulation, your baby’s body warms up fast that melts the phlegm and expels it out.
- Anti bacterial properties of garlic helps destroying the bacteria causing cold. You can add garlic juice in warm water and offer your baby.
- Probiotic effect of lady’s finger (okra) helps removal of bacteria causing cold. It is also effective in removing inflammation and irritation. You can boil okra for 10 minutes and allow your baby to drink the water.
- Add a pinch of turmeric in the fruit juice or warm milk and offer your baby twice. This is a good way to strengthen her immune system and fight against infections.
- Lemon has antiseptic properties and helps in improving her immune system. For older babies (babies above one year), you can add a teaspoon of honey and little bit of water. It is an effective way to treat cold in babies.
- Relieve the symptoms of cold by offering the universal remedy for colds – homemade chicken soup. This simple recipe has proven to help reduce inflammation and fever.
- You can use appropriate essential oils to help her deal with cold better. However, you must seek advice from the healthcare experts before using them.
- Eucalyptus oil is ideal for children above 6 months. Using a few drops to inhale helps your baby to find relief from nose blocks. Try putting few drops of oil into a handkerchief and make your baby inhale the same.
Colds are common among babies, as babies are yet to build a strong immune system. Apart from trying the natural remedies for cold in babies, you can try the following tips to ease discomfort at this time:
- Monitor the mucus as stuffy nose can make her uncomfortable. You can use a gentle suction bulb to extract the mucus. Lay your baby comfortably on his or her back. Gently insert the bulb syringe and suck the mucus. Make sure you do not over do the suction. This may irritate the lining of your baby’s nostrils.
- For babies who are 1 year and above, Keep her head in elevated position to reduce the possibility of running and blocked nose. Use an extra pillow or offer other supports underneath to help her breathe easily.
- Keep the room moist by using warm mist humidifier. This will reduce congestion and make it easier for her to breathe.
- Most times, children tend to gulp in the mucus while busy playing.It is important to teach the healthy habits so that they know what to do when they have a running nose. To start with, train your little one by showing in gestures. He will imitate you and follow the instructions.Introduce your child to using hand sanitizer after blowing the nose
Common colds generally get better within few days. However, you need to be watchful of the signs if your baby’s health is deteriorating further. Here is what you should look for:
- See if her cough gets wheezy and productive.
- You need to make sure that your baby is not pulling her ears.
- Look if the nasal discharge turns greenish-yellow and lasts for more than a day.
- You need to keep a watch if your baby is getting lethargic.
These symptoms indicate secondary infection like bronchiolitis or ear infection. It is highly important that you bring to the notice of your doctor and start medical treatment at the earliest.
Since your baby is sensitive at this age, you must be careful and not use any over-the-counter medicines to treat cold. Only a licensed doctor has the authority to prescribe medications to your baby.
- You must stay away from the products marketed like decongestants, cough syrups and chest rubs to cure cold in babies.
- You can apply the topical chest rubs only after consulting with your doctor.
- If your child has fever, you must monitor it closely.
- Keep a note of the temperature readings at different times and show it to the doctor.
- Offer her plenty of fluids to help her fight against fever.
- Frequent bouts of bugs can help your baby develop her immune system fast. This will make her less susceptible to infections later.
However, even if you know about the perks, you derive little consolation from them. You would certainly want to see your baby getting better as soon as possible. Trying the home remedies can be an effective way to help her fight through the germ-packed rainy days or winter months.
Babies And Colds:
It is said by the medical community that babies tend to suffer from cold for around 8 to 10 times, before their second birthday. Medications are suggested in only extreme cases to a newborn.
- A newborn is exposed to more than 200 viruses after birth that is known to cause colds.
- You, thus need to take basic care and see if she is warm, ensure that she is not playing with water and is also eating right.
- Talk to your doctor in case you have any doubts.
Taking care of the basics will ensure she does not catch cold at the slightest pretext. Otherwise it is normal for babies to get cold and you need not worry much about it. Baby cold home remedies may be considered as a good way to alleviate your baby’s distress.
Moms do tell us about other home remedies for cold in babies you tried in the comment section below.
Kim Phuong Dr